Jr. High Mission Trip: 7/28 - 8/5, 2012
Meet at the church Saturday 7/28 at 9am. Make sure you bring your waiver forms and your health insurance card (or a copy of it), if you haven't already. The forms you need to fill out and turn in to me are pages 8, 9, and 10 in the first attachment below.
There will be another waiver form that (nobody has signed yet) parents will need to sign when you drop off student on Saturday (tomorrow) regarding our free day activity, which is going to be a wild CAVING expedition at Raccoon Mountain! Take a look
We will be back Sunday around 7pm
Encouragement Letters: Parents, we will collect these letters on the day we leave (July 28). Write a short letter (or note) as a source of encouragement to your child, or another person going on the trip. Have everyone in your family write a letter, or maybe ask some close friends. These letters have been very meaningful in past trips to students. We will hand out these letters during the week, so if you want your letter to be read on a certain day, just make sure you write the day on the front of the envelope/letter. I think somewhere between 3 and 12 letters per student is a good number (please don't give me more than 12)
Here's a general idea of our week (July 28 - Aug 5):
Saturday - Meet at 9am @ The U. Parents will need to sign caving waiver. Parents bring your health insurance cards (or a copy of it). Students bring $ for lunch/snacks.
Sunday - Training, Church, Leave for Urban Camp
Urban Camp is a camp of about 70 kids, ages 8-12, put on by the church, and we will be helping out as assistant leaders. We'll be spending lots of time with the kids during the day, and staying with them in the cabins. We'll also be doing the skits, Bible memory verse challenge, and crafts for the evening meeting.
Monday - Urban Camp
Tuesday - Urban Camp
Wednesday - Get back from Urban Camp, Rest
Thursday - All Day Work Project
Friday - Urban Camp Party 10 - 3pm at NCF, Coolidge Park after dinner
Saturday - Work Project AM. Lunch. Caving Epedition ($20). Dinner Out ($)
Sunday - Urban Camp Presentation in Church. Leave for Home. Bring $ for lunch+snacks. ETA 7pm
Anna Belle, Ruby, Jonah, Rose, Jacob R., Landon, Jacob A., Matthew F., Maggie H., Bizzy
Devin, Anna, Pam Carroll
- Bedding - Bring sleeping bag and/or sheets, AND a pillow! FYI, there is no air conditioning at Urban Camp
- Shower stuff - Towel(s), You might want shower shoes.
- Water Bottle
- Church Clothes for 2 Sunday Mornings (Similar to Highlands, tennis shoes are fine, Devin is going to wear khaki pants, collared shirt, and tennis shoes)
- Clothing - It will be warm, and bring clothes you don't mind getting a little dirty or messy. Girls - No short shorts (like Nike Running or sofee shorts). Basketball shorts are good. You can wear Nike running shorts at bedtime or with bathing suit.
- Bathing Suit and a towel (Girls...one piece or tankini).
- Caving - You will want to wear jeans/pants and a long sleeve shirt that you don't mind getting muddy! It will be around 60 degrees inside the caves. Need good/sturdy athletic shoes/hiking boots that you don't mind getting wet.
- Work Gloves and Shoes are required for the worksite (no Sandals at Worksite)
- Money - 3 or 4 meals, Snacks, Free Day Activity ($20). $70 should be plenty
- Bible and Pen (journal is optional)
- Optional - Snacks (you can’t buy any at Urban Camp), Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat, Bug spray, Flashlight, Small Personal Fan, Watch (if you always need to know the time)
- You can use electronics for van ride if you want (Cell Phone, ipod,, etc.). I wouldn't bring anything real valuable. But no use of these electronics while we are there. Students will be allowed to occasionally check their cell phones and use them to call home (or use a leader's phone). Parents, feel free to call Devin (601-497-0755) or Anna (601-319-1749)
Code of Conduct for Mission Trip
Failure to keep the Code of conduct below could result in being sent home early and having your parents come pick you up.
- Respect, listen, and obey all leaders
- Love and Serve one another.
- No electronics while we are there
- No alcohol, drugs, or tobacco
- No immodest clothing. Shorts must be passed fingertips
- No Guys in the girls sleeping area and the same goes for Girls
- No sexual activity of any kind. No hanging out alone with the opposite sex.
- umt-participant-packet-2012.pdf (Acrobat, 357.2 KB)
- Cave_Waiver.pdf (Acrobat, 7.6 KB)